Saturday 8 June 2013

Maami's Mess - Mylapore

I've been a big fan of this place ever since my dad introduced this to me way back when. I love the kozhakattais on Fridays and Sundal on Sundays.

I was in no mood to cook today; I'd opted to eat out yet didn't want to blow a bomb.

(This was drafted last Friday)

Within 5 minutes of making the decision, I reached this small place situated in the corner of Pitchu Pillai Street, Off East Mada Street, Mylapore - Mami Tiffin Stall. The place is not so crowded, it being quite hot at 12 pm. The boys are busy making the outer shells for the kozhakattais, while some others are manning the counter for take-aways. There are a few who are hogging on the delicious food, standing at the self service counters.

My order for a full meals is priced at INR 45 (for takeaway; If you eat there, it is INR 40). The meals are already packed and ready. All you need to do is pick up a bag, pay and walk out. I was in and out of the place in under a minute.

The menu today was rice, sambar, rasam, vethakozhambu, kootu, brinjal poriyal, buttermilk, peanut coconut chutney & citron pickle. At today's vegetable prices, I assume tomato was the cheapest, because it was tomato all the way. Tomato sambar, Tomato rasam, Tomato kootu and tomato vethakozhambu (And I dislike tomatoes :-( ). With that being the only drawback, the food was tasty, simple and just enough for 1.

Value for money - Check
Delicious - Check
Quick Service - Check
Clean - Check
Repeat audience - Absolutely

And again, yesterday, I opted to eat from here. The prices have gone up - it is now INR 50 for a take away. Food delicious as usual. Less tomatoes and missing buttermilk. But hey, who's complaining! The quantity of rice was huge today and I had to save a big cup for later use.

Watch out for a contrasting post - Taj Clubhouse - coming soon!


13 comments:

  1. Is that the same place maamis mess near Apollo hospital near greams Road? Used to be my daily lunch hour eatout a couple of years back.Absolute Value for money .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karthick - This is the one in Mylapore. I am not so sure about the one near Apollo. Will try it definitely.

      Delete
  2. Isn't it funny how cheap food can be so heartening. There is a place in Mumbai outside Matunga railway station that serves that most amazing south Indian food (unlimited) for 100 Rs. I bet this must be really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are we talking about Rama Nayak Mess? There's also one in Sion - Mani's mess. Both are awesome :D

      Delete
  3. Win Exciting and Cool Prizes Everyday @ www.2vin.com , Everyone can win by answering simple questions. Earn points for referring your friends and exchange your points for cool gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have heard of this place but never visited it.
    And the image says all . Hmm..starving !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello,

    My name is Neha and I am the City Manager for Chenai Burrp!

    We're tying up with Knorr this month to try out some of their new products and we're looking for food bloggers who'd like to work with us for this activity.

    Dinner with Knorr - Creating a 3- course lunch and dinner menu using one of the Knorr ready to eat products. The main dish will the one created using the Knorr product and then what all can it be served with. We're looking for bloggers to write in with your recipes and pictures so we can put them on our microsite in the coming month. You can also give us testimonials on what you thought of the product.

    Do let me know if you'd be interested in doing this with Burrp! We'd love to have you aboard. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

  6. I appreciate all of the information that you have shared. Thank you for the hard work!
    Restaurans in Anna Nagar

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some kind of roue map would help.........please

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing, I will bookmark and be back again


    Packers and Movers Mylapore

    ReplyDelete
  9. The South Indian Concern at Matunga, Mumbai was the best south indian hotel I have ever dined. In 1982, for the chinna onion sambar and potato fry, the queue was upto the road. The cost was Rs. 2.50 on all the days. Unlimited meals.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The South Indian Concern at Matunga, Mumbai was the best south indian hotel I have ever dined. In 1982, for the chinna onion sambar and potato fry, the queue was upto the road. The cost was Rs. 2.50 on all the days. Unlimited meals.

    ReplyDelete

Munch on....